Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Day to Day! At, Geo Re-Entry Services

 The Adventures Of The Count Of Monte Crypto

Day to Day! At, Geo Re-Entry Services

Having had to reside inside of the GEO Re-Entry Services facility varied from bad to terrible depending on the day. The GEO Re-Entry Services staff and its guests made it a point to make my stay as uncomfortable as possible. I had to beg for pretty much anything I requested. Food, paper towels, toilet paper, permission to leave (that includes medical appointments or to buy essential items), to be able to go to the back area, to use the lobby phone (since I still do not have my own phone), laundry detergent, you name it I’ve had to grovel for it. On 12-30-21 at roughly 2:30PM I accidently locked my keys inside of the room I was assigned. Instead of begging to have the door opened I waited in the hallway for the 4PM “count” in full view of a visible camera. 4:30PM monitor George Moore and a female monitor come to the door and see me sitting in the hallway outside of it. Admittedly I think George Moore tried asking me a question but I had my iPod going with my earplugs in and ignored the initial questions thinking they were most likely the same redundant questions the GEO Re-Entry Services staff loves to constantly ask me on a daily basis. Also I thought they would open the door and inspect the room as they had done 9 times a day for the previous 503 days. After not responding George Moore and the female monitor who were doing count simply walked away. Any other time you’re out and about during “count” the GEO Re-Entry Services staff will instantly begin interrogating you over why you’re not in your room. Again trying to avoid another argument I sat and waited for the next count at 7:30PM. Once the 7:30PM “count” had begun monitor Salvador Marquez and a different female monitor come up to the place in the hallway I had been sitting at under full view of a visible camera for at that point 5 and a half hours. Same results. Salvador Marquez and the other female monitor simply walked past me sitting outside in the hallway. The stalemate finally ended at 9:04PM after I went downstairs and begged for the door to be opened by a member of staff. This isn’t the first time George Moore and Salvador Marquez have attempted to antagonize me. Another situation occurred on 11-3-21 after going back to the GEO Re-Entry Services facility after work at 5:35PM George Moore decided to call the “guests” who were waiting to enter the facility before turning to me to enter. I replied “no thank you I’ll keep waiting” sarcastically. After which I was made to wait from 5:35PM until 6:30PM until William Gomez came to the door asking what happened. I replied that George Moore obviously had important police business he needed to handle first before letting me inside of the building and that the “guests” seem to take priority over me in any and all situations. After a few minutes of back and forth I was given a direct order to enter the facility by William Gomez but George Moore decided that wasn’t enough and fabricated a disciplinary report that was cosigned by Salvador Marquez. This sort of behavior was not abnormal. Salvador Marquez made it a point one day to call the Caucasian guests who came into the waiting area of the facility before he decided to call me to enter the facility. Since you do have to be “waved in” then complete the search of your persons before entering he has habitually made it a point to flex the power he has been given whenever possible. On 11-9-21 at 11:15PM I overheard Salvador Marquez having a conversation regarding me during which he told the person he was speaking to “what do you expect when you put Kelvin in a room with a n**ger?”

All the times I have used the phone no matter when it’s been has had its own separate issues. The “guests” and staff always seem to want to stand over me when I use it. “Guests” will come up to me and stand shoulder to shoulder while I am attempting to place a call and start requesting random items, grab an item near the phone such as a pen and start filling out paperwork, or when all else fails just stand there and eavesdrop on whatever I am saying. Not only is it uncomfortable but it’s an invasion of my privacy. I have called lawyers, my court ordered counseling sessions are at times via telephone, I would call my mother and child or my wife and there they would stand listening to what I’m saying with the number I dialed displayed on the phone. More than once I’ve heard the phone “pick up” from another phone in the facility being used to listen to my conversations. On 1-12-22 I had a divorce court date via zoom in which I used the phone at the monitors station in the front lobby at 1:15PM which is during the 1PM “count time” when the facility is supposed to be empty. Even still numerous members of staff and residents were mingling in the front lobby near the phone. Instead of having my privacy invaded during one of the most personal things possible I hung up the phone and went upstairs to the room I was assigned. This action may have long term consequences however it showed me at the GEO Re-Entry Services facility nothing is sacred when it pertains to me.

After begging for food from March 2020 through September 2020 I discovered a local food bank two blocks from the facility. I was allowed to go twice. The 3rd time facility director Maria Richards and Case Manager Coordinator Michelle Daniel told me that I could not leave the facility to get food since it was provided by the facility. When I tried explaining that the staff has had me begging for food for nearly the entire duration of my stay and I was sick of it I was told the decision stands “you can’t go get groceries.” From then on I was forced to think of creative ways to get food for myself. Such as fill out a DAR for “hygiene” and go to a grocery store and stock up on food so that I would be able to feed myself.

On 4-8-21 I started visiting some job developers on 6th Street in San Francisco, Ca who were named Kris Sosa and Brittany Bernard. After visiting with her a few times she upsold me on getting a phone despite me saying over and over I did not want one. Before getting the phone I did ask Indira Menken who was still my case manager at that time. I was very specific on the type of phone I was getting and the conversation was witness by another staff member named Lukeman. Against my better judgement I did get the phone and used it strictly for job searching and music. With the help of Kris Sosa and Brittany Bernard I was able to start tapping into community resources. I had a phone interview with the CAAP (General Assistance) department of Social Services on 5-20-21 at 1PM during the interview I was told I was being denied benefits because “all my needs are met at GEO Re-Entry Services.” After explaining to the interviewer that my needs are absolutely not met at GEO Re-Entry Services and that I had been selling my own personal belongings to pawn shops to buy essential items as well as the treatment I had endured while inside of the GEO Re-Entry Services facility I was told the same thing “I was being denied and the decision is final.” The woman I spoke with also told me that GEO Re-Entry Services is directly funded by SFPD. On 6-15-21 after having the phone for a month and a half during the routine search of my persons entering the GEO Re-Entry Services facility the phone I had been using was confiscated and seized as contraband. When entering the facility from the street, to the waiting area and all over every floor within the facility there are a plethora of visible cameras and I had brought the phone with me every day previous to 6-15-21 in and out of the facility and the phone was never taken from me. Earlier that day on 6-15-21 I had several phone interviews, had an in person interview and was offered a job on the spot by Restaurant Depot. 

On 7-12-21 I was denied exit for a medial appointment at 9:15AM. After explaining to Michelle Daniel (GEO Re-Entry Services Case Manager Coordinator) that I had a scheduled appointment I was told I needed to fill out another form since the first DAR I had submitted could not be found. My response was “how can I complete the form without any access to information I would need to complete it. You were present when the phone I was using was confiscated on 6-15-21 when entering the facility.” This led to over an hour of beratement and emasculation by Michelle Daniel much to the amusement of the room full of “guests” and GEO Re-Entry Services staff who were closely monitoring the situation. I kept saying over and over I needed assistance filling out the pass and I was going to miss my appointment but the harassment continued which ultimately led to me being “written up” at 10:30AM for “refusing to leave the lobby when Case Manager Supervisor, Michelle Daniel requested him to complete the DAR in his room or in the Community Area.” From 9:15AM until 10:30AM I was harassed by Michelle Daniel with a room full of onlookers who did nothing to intervene if anything they found the harassment amusing. Finally, I had enough and said I would like to go and speak with the woman who represented me during my federal case. Instantly the mood inside of the building shifted. The conversation instantly went from harassment to “calm down let’s get you over to the doctor.” Although I was allowed to get to the doctor and luckily I was seen that same day at 2PM which was 4 hours after my scheduled time on 7-15-21 Michelle Daniel left a note inside of my sign out box informing me that I was to meet with my probation officer. That same day I was questioned regarding the phone that had been seized over a month before and my probation was violated over having the phone in my possession. This after the phone being seized on 6-15-21 then after asking to speak with my federal public defender on 7-12-21 after the hour and a half of harassment I was written up by Michelle Daniel. Then I had my probation violated because the staff at GEO Re-Entry Services retaliated against me for asking to speak with legal counsel when they conveniently informed my probation officer of the previous incident that had occurred over a month prior. Although I would not need to appear in court I was being admonished and had to sign up for another 6 months at the GEO Re-Entry Services facility.

I have attempted to take steps to limit the damage to my person items. In September of 2021 I managed to purchase a PO box and on 9-21-21 I purchased a storage unit. Unfortunately as fate would have it I have nearly zero dollars in savings and will soon lose not only my PO Box but also my storage unit full of nearly all my possessions I own in life. After the fiasco with the boxes during my first stay and due to the fact I rarely ever received any mail at the GEO Re-Entry Services facility except bills from child support I thought it best to secure my belongings and mail. Whenever I started going to the hospital and dentist at the beginning of 2021 for some reason my health care cards never arrived at the GEO Re-Entry Services facility. Weeks would go by between requests and I would inquire with the medical professionals during my next visits about the status of the cards and would even have them order new cards. This also happened with cards I requested from my bank to replace ones that were rendered useless because of my personal items and information being stolen by the “guests” at GEO Re-Entry Services. After purchasing my PO box, I switched all the addresses I had on file from 111 Taylor Street to the PO box address. On 9-21-21 I requested a new health care card. On 9-28-21 it arrived at my PO box.

After purchasing my storage unit on 9-21-21 the following day 9-22-21 I completed a DAR in which I requested to “secure my personal belongings” and was denied on 3 separate occasions that day. After a lot of back and forth over the course of 3 hours I was finally able to remove some of my belongings. GEO Re-Entry Services is never to be outdone however. On 9-28-21 my wallet was stolen directly in front of a visible camera in the common area of the facility. Inside of my wallet was money, my spare PO box key, my spare storage unit key, the password and locker number of my storage unit, information regarding my divorce (case number, zoom login details, date(s) and times of proceedings), my bosses number and contact information for Bon Appétit at The Chase Center, my bank account number and my federal public defenders phone number. This was one of the few times I actually tried to have GEO Re-Entry Services do the right thing. Instead of “tucking tail and running” I asked multiple GEO Re-Entry Services staff members one of which was Tiffany Allen Head of Security at GEO Re-Entry Services (who told me she previously quit the Department of Homeland Security to work for GEO Re-Entry Services). No luck, despite that happening in plain view of a visible camera GEO Re-Entry Services did nothing to return the stolen items. Enough was really enough at that point and that’s when I seriously began trying to seek out legal aid for all the incidents I found myself in at the GEO Re-Entry Services facility. The next day 9-29-21 I was denied exit and access to legal services due to Michelle Daniel not approving the pass I filled out. On 10-1-21 three days had gone by since the thief had stolen my wallet I was denied exit due to Michelle Daniel not approving the pass I filled out at 8:30AM to go to the storage facility and change the locks. Reluctantly after explaining the situation over and over to different members of staff I was finally able to get over to the storage facility and to Golden 1 to change the lock and password on my storage unit and open a new bank account. It wasn’t until 10-4-21 that I was able to get over to USPS and order a lock replacement. Since that date I have had another storage key stolen and have had to pay for two replacements. I am currently on lock #3 at my storage unit.

On 10-7-21 when Kelvin was still my roommate I put one of the Public Storage locks on the locker I had at GEO Re-Entry Services. I have always had the suspicion that staff members and “guests” at GEO Re-Entry Services were going through my personal items when my back was turned. So I placed all my financial information (bank statements, bank information (some with my social security number on it), birth certificate, medical records, medical information, job information, pay stubs and receipts behind lock and key inside of the locker at GEO Re-Entry Services. All this material was previously in my duffel bag underneath the bottom bunk. Before it was placed behind lock and key GEO Re-Entry Services staff and its “guests” could and probably did go through those documents routinely. On 10-28-21 at roughly 7:30PM when I came back to the facility that day I noticed the lock was severely damaged as though someone had used some sort of heavy duty tool in an attempt to cut through the lock itself. Upon going through my items within the locker I came to find out only two items were seized. The two chargers I used for my iPod and Beats headphones and a separate item was taken from off my bunk. Also everything inside of my locker was gone through.

The only way to leave the facility is by filling out a legal document called a Daily Accountability Report or “DAR.” The DAR itself has sections that account for your where abouts during the day, time and date of the authorized exit, location name, address, phone number and city. As well as times you’ll be at the location. Upon returning you have to submit some sort of document or items that provides evidence you were at that location. Which in turn can be used to prosecute you in court. These documents had become the main tool for the staff to use against me in a predatory manner. The DAR’s I would fill out were frequently misplaced, unsigned, edited after they are signed and submitted, destroyed or signed days after the requested departure date. Even when the DAR’s are signed and approved on the correct date and time the staff will interrogate me regarding the information even though it is written clearly and legibly on the form. In the documents I have provided it shows my inability to be released on a consistent basis even for medical care or work due to the requested “DAR” not being approved. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 The Adventures Of The Count Of Monte Crypto End Of My Stay! At, GEO Re-Entry Services Part 2 The times my progression has been hinder shoul...